Thursday, August 8, 2024

Apostles for Today - August 2024

 Apostles for Today 

      August 2024 

                       

AIDG
Psalm 116:12

How can I repay the Lord for all the good he has done for me? 

   Together with the psalmist, I want to thank the Lord for all that he is accomplishing for the whole Pallottine family. I hope to share with you what treasures I have received and what we are witnessing here in my current mission with our new convent in Jersey City. This is a cherished moment in our community since it is the first time in 25 years that the American Sisters of the Immaculate Conception Province open a new community. I am deeply grateful to them and their prayers in spreading this charism of Saint Vincent Pallotti and turning a new page in our history.
 
   Each day I am filled with thanks for the Pallottine formation and experiences that brought me to where I am and prepared me to give all I can here in this new community. I feel so blessed to have had my formation in Italy; all that I received opened me to the universal spirit and mind which Pallotti had. Because of that experience among the sisters and fathers of all backgrounds and cultures, I came to know our Father Founder, Saint Vincent Pallotti, as a point of reference for my life whom I love and receive daily inspiration from. I can say proudly, in all humility, that, having the chance to visit all the sites where Pallotti lived, to speak the language which he spoke, so that I can read his writings and letters which is a patrimony for whole entire Pallottine family, where his family lived, and his current resting place, I came into contact with his sanctity, palpable in these places, and that contact opened my eyes to embrace the real meaning of our Pallottine Identity Jesus Apostle of the Eternal Father, and to be part in His mission. Now I recognize all that was preparing me for this mission.

   The new Pallottine convent is located in the waterfront section downtown Jersey City, next door to the parish school. Fr. Bryan Page is the pastor of the church, Our Lady of Czestochowa, where our new community is located. From the first moment he welcomed us with great enthusiasm and joy. The same thing was true for the parishioners . The convent shares its home with different parts of this parish’s mission: on the ground floor of the building there is the preschool for two year-olds where sisters are also working, and above the convent is a missionary teacher residence. That residence is meant to prepare apostles for the church that’s the desire of Fr.Bryan’s mission and we sisters are involved in the formation of the lay missionaries.

   Jersey City is an incredibly diverse place even for United States standards. The children at our parish school speak over 20 different world languages at home. The people in this city come from all over the world, or from families that have called the United States home for centuries. When I became a citizen last year, the children and staff at the school cheered, many of them familiar with this kind of celebration from their own family experiences.

   Our Lady of Czestochowa, the parish’s namesake, is a reminder that this neighborhood was once very Polish. Today, some Polish families remain at the parish from its first foundation, and many new faces fill the pews, some of them only months old.

   I thank God for the gift of this experience, full of concrete opportunities to evangelize. We Pallottine sisters are so grateful to Fr. Bryan Page, for all that he is doing for us on all levels, spiritually and as well as taking care of all that is needed to accomplish this mission.Always with the same enthusiasm and spirit of Pallotti had the same goal to prepare Apostles for the church. So I call him a failed Pallottine. because though he is a diocesan priest, as Pallotti was, he inspires me more and more in the spirit of Pallotti. He is full of initiatives and great communion with all cultures. I see Pallotti’s ideas and spirit in the church’s activities and ministries such as the small groups, women’s group, adoration, Children’s Liturgy of the Word, bringing communion to the sick and homebound, sacramental preparation for children and adults, and community gatherings, young couples are more taken care and giving them responsibility to prepare for the sacraments and other activities of the church.Being a part of Our Lady of Czestochowa feels like a perfect place for the Pallottine charism to be fully realized. Sisters are involved in every activity; we are like parsley, as the Italians say, always present: in catechesis, in celebrations of mass and families, on retreat and leisure days. We are present in small reading faith groups sharing the Word of God and in the preparation of the parish for particular times, as well as in recreational activities around the city, or less formally in the evenings where we eat pizza together, for example. He appreciates us and encourages us. We have three sisters in this community, and each one brings unique graces to our mission and the parish and school.

The school environment is fraternal. There is an air of understanding and collaboration among the adults as well as the children. The teachers are open and participatory to every suggestion. This year, students held a giant rosary as they helped younger ones share flowers with their mother’s for the month of May celebrating the Blessed Virgin. Because Pallotti, too, was a diocesan priest and not a member of an order, I feel I am in the right place here in this diocese, sharing in this mission with diocesan priests. Priests from this diocese who serve neighboring churches are so fraternal, too – they regularly give their time to celebrate Mass at the Pallottine convent. I feel that all are helping us to realize this mission of Pallotti in this part of the world, caring for our shared spiritual life.

   The presence of us sisters in the school and in the parish is greatly valued and loved. People on the street smile and many even say thank you to the sisters upon seeing their visible reminder as we go about our days, walking to and from the convent, on errands or visiting parishioners. I feel that God brought me to this community to be closer to Him and to journey together with the people of God. I am always grateful and proud of my entire Pallottine family, and see the fruits of our prayers and acts alive in the Pallottine presence here in Jersey City mission. One request to all those who are readers of the Apostles today to Pray and Pray for our Parish and its mission that we may have the same spirit and enthusiasm of St.Vincent Pallotti to thrust and hunger for God and to be selfless for the people of God where we are called to live in this time our life. St. Vincent Pallotti Pray for us . Our Lady of Czestochowa Pray for us.
Sr.Rini Panakal CSAC
180 Grand St.
Jersey City, New Jersey
07302 USA

No comments:

Post a Comment